If you’ve been yearning to earn a big pile of travel points but can’t stomach the thought of paying a hefty annual fee to do so, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card might be what you’ve been looking for.
The main trade-off with this card is that in exchange for an annual fee of $0, you’re giving up some swanky premium travel card perks like airport lounge access, travel transfer partners, or reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA Precheck. If those extras are important to you, you’re likely better off with a different travel credit card.
But for pure points-earning potential, we can’t think of another card without an annual fee that offers as many lucrative incentives to apply.
Key features of the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
Here are some fast facts about the card:
Welcome bonus: Earn 30K bonus points when you spend $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months – that’s a $300 cash redemption value. Terms Apply.
Annual fee: $0
Intro APR: 0% on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months, and then the ongoing APR of 14.24% – 26.74% Variable APR
Foreign transaction fee: None
Ongoing rewards: Earn 3 Go Far Rewards points per $1 spent on the following categories:
- Eat & Drink. This category includes restaurant dining, takeout and bars.
- Ride & Drive. This category includes gas stations, rideshares and transit.
- Fly & Stay. This category includes flights, hotels, homestays and more.
- Watch & Listen. This category includes eligible streaming services such as Apple Music, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora and Spotify Premium.
All other eligible spending earns 1 point per $1 spent.
There’s no cap on the amount of points you can earn, and rewards never expire as long as your account is open. Points are worth a penny each and can be redeemed for things like travel, cash back or gift cards through the Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards portal. You can book travel using a combination of points and a payment card.
- Cell phone protection of up to $600, minus a $25 deductible, for damage to or theft of your phone (when you use the card to pay your monthly cell phone bill).
- Travel accident insurance and lost luggage insurance.
- Auto protections and insurances including roadside assistance and car rental coverage.
- Purchase protections including return protection and extended warranty.